Thursday, April 11, 2013

Put Yourself In My Shoes


Since short assignment 6 was very similar to one of our previous short assignments I was more open to the editing process. I still wouldn’t call my self someone’s who is great with editing but after our many workshops I’m much stronger than I once was. I found this assignment pretty entertaining.

I chose to edit a page that I knew about so it would be easier for me. The article I chose to edit was TVOne (US TV network), through Wikipedia’s portal page. This article needed some editing and grammar fixtures. I made sure to pick this particular page due to the fact that I am familiar with. I took precautions to make sure and looked over all my work since this is a public page. I didn’t want to make any more mistakes on the page.

For my own edit I picked the Wikipedia page, The Golddiggers, through Wikipedia’s portal page. The article needed so editing as far as grammar, so I felt comfortable choosing it. Looking it over, I noticed that there were a few grammar issues and irrelevant. Certain parts of the article were repetitive so I decided to edit them out of the entire article as well. This reminded me of our reading by Joseph M. Williams and Gregory G. Colomb’s. “To delete words that mean little or nothing” was one of the many quotes that caught my eye while reading The Basics of Clarity and Grace.

I had to think like the original writer of the page. I chose to read the entire page to see the format and get a sense of what the writer was trying to achieve. It made me think about Deborah Brandt’s, “Ghostwriting and Shifting Values in Literacy”.

“It’s odd. Sometimes it’s difficult. You almost have to think like they think.” – Brandt

To put your self in another writer’s shoes is very hard. I found it difficult at some points in my editing process to see what the previous writer was trying to accomplish.



No comments:

Post a Comment